Thursday, July 31, 2008

In the beginning...

I've been fascinated with beads since I was a teenager but it has really only been since January this year that I have pursued them with earnest. Our first baby was a few months old and I wanted a quiet hobby to bide my time whilst she slumbered. Granted, she only ever cat-napped for half an hour at a time, so I had to bead at speed! A couple of local bead magazines for inspiration and WHAM! I was utterly hooked.

I began with a few basic projects: a "charm" belt for my Mum, a dangly necklace for my brother's girlfriend... but it was the seed bead projects I saw in magazines and on the net which really captured my imagination. I was especially drawn to off-loom bead weaving techniques, bead embroidery, sculptural 3-D work and ‘art’ pieces. The more I found, the more I wanted. The laptop covered in drool and my jaw sitting on the floor, I was utterly captivated…and remain so.

I thought I would post a few pics of my first attempts to illustrate how my bead-journey has been travelled in just over 6 months, and also to show how my style and skills have evolved. And I don’t mean that in an egotistical way…but, for a beginner, I am fairly ambitious in the designs I devise. Perhaps it is a good thing to not know one’s limits?

So here is my first necklace, created in January '08 (please excuse the woeful photography...it has improved tenfold since):



Ergh...looking at that photo now, I think a monkey could have done a better job. Still, you have to start somewhere I guess.

Here is my first attempt at some off-loom beadweaving...a lariat consisting of modified Russian leaves hanging off a strand of peyote ruffles:


Again, ergh. Looking at them now, my first beading attempts seem so...poor. It is an exercise in embarrassment to post these photos here. However, I shall do it for posterity...

1 comment:

  1. اننا نقدم ارخص اسعار نقل العفش الى مصر من الرياض

    شركة شحن عفش من الرياض لمصر من الباب للباب
    ونتميز ايضا باننا نقوم بتغليف و تركيب العفش
    شركة نقل عفش من الرياض الى مصر
    افضل شركة شحن عفش

    ________
    ان نقل اثاث بالاحساء يحتاج الى مهارات خاصة ولابد ان تتم على اكمل زجهة حتى لا يتعرض العفش الى التكسير

    اتصل الان على افضل شركة نقل عفش بالاحساء للحصول على افضل الخدمات باقل الاسعار
    https://www.alraid-sa.com/ارخص-شركة-نقل-اثاث-بالدمام/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

B.
-xo-