Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dia de los Muertos

The Day of the Dead...

This yearly festival and traditional Mexican holiday is a time for families to gather together to remember those who have passed.

And it was also the theme for the very first challenge for the Etsy Best Kept Secrets team!

You can view all of the diverse creations for the challenge by my fellow team members on our blog post.  Amazing work by everyone!

And here's my contribution,

a sugar skull immortilised in sterling silver...

The *Day of the Dead* Ring

Every component of the skull was sawn, stamped and textured by hand...

The *Day of the Dead* Ring

A sparkly 3mm faceted ruby rests on the skull's forehead...

The *Day of the Dead* Ring

The *Day of the Dead* Ring

It is a bold ring, not for the faint-hearted!

The *Day of the Dead* Ring

As soon as I'd created the ring,

I immediately knew what I was going to use as a prop for the photos...

...an authentic headhunter's trophy skull from Papua New Guinea!

Skull 2

It's a rather macabre piece...

Skull 3

...you can even see the fatal blow mark on the skull...

Skull 1

We have all kinds of weird and wonderful trinkets in this house! ;-)

Oh, and before I forget, the ring is available here!

~*~

Do you celebrate Dia de los Muertos?

What have you been creating this week?

8 comments:

  1. Yikes, you're brave sleeping with that in the house! The ring is an amazing work of art - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsty, it's just a little bit creepy! But it does make a wicked photography prop ;-) Thanks for the comments about my ring...I had so much fun creating it! x

    Thanks Jo :-D -xxxxxx-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the ring!!!!! You are such an amazing artist!!!

    Nissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want that skull!!!! The real one LOL I do love this ring. It is perfect for me.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks M! x

    Thank you so much Nissa! :-) I loved creating this ring...it's great fun to push yourself to try something new!

    LOL Nicole, I can't help but think of you whenever it comes to skulls! I knew you'd like this ring (and the skull!) -xxx-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful ring Belinda and I love the prop!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!

B.
-xo-